Entering Clinical Academia

Related Pages

After qualifying as a pharmacist, should you wish to go on to become a clinical academic pharmacist you will often need to pursue a postgraduate qualification in relevant area. This would typically be a Masters (or equivalent) in an area such as Research Methods. This could then be followed by a PhD on a full-time or part-time basis.

Various UK universities offer Master’s degrees in Research Methods, although the qualifications offered vary between institutions, meaning you might end up with an MRes, MSc or MA. You might find that  a Post-Graduate qualification such as a Master of Education (MEd) or a Certificate in Postgraduate Education is beneficial, although it would not be compulsory and many pharmacists study for this qualification once in academia.  

For more advice you may want to make contact with your local School of Pharmacy or other institution delivering Post-Graduate education.